As with everything in life, things have a tendency to change all the time for us. I have decided to embark on a new journey that will take me to Thailand for at least 5 months. I will be leaving on Friday, April 24th (I know, it's just 2 weeks away!!) and I will be teaching English at a Thai school until early to mid October. Seeing as I will be out of the country, I realize it will be difficult to keep in contact with my friends and family, and therefore I have decided to keep my FaceBook page.
I have always wanted to do something like this, but have never had the guts to leave my comfort zone and just do it....until now. I know that many of us have been going through some difficult times lately whether it be due to the recession, changes in our lives, or other events that have affected us in some way. I feel that there are some times and points in our lives where we feel stuck. We ask ourselves, "What are we doing with our lives? Where are we going? What's our mission? What's our reason for being here?" We might just feel lost. Losing ourselves in the daily grind. I know I have definitely been pondering these questions lately. Although I have a general idea of what I want to do, I still question whether the path that I have been "somewhat" navigating on will take me there. Or better yet, is there ever going to be a destination? I've heard hundreds of different quotes and proverbs about life, such as "life is a journey, not a destination", and although they make sense, how many of us really live with that frame of mind on a daily basis? How many of us can really just accept what life hands us and take in stride?
I know I can't.
Although part of me wishes I could. Life brings us change all the time. It's up to us on how we deal with it. Whether it be losing a job, losing a loved one, the end of a relationship, the birth of a child, or anything. It's important for us to stop trying to figure out WHY these things are happening, and try to focus on WHAT we should be taking and learning from the situation. Maybe you weren't living up to your potential at your job, and you need to find your real passion. Maybe the two of you aren't right for each other, or maybe it just isn't the right time for you, and you'll be even better and stronger in the future. Maybe the circle of life forces you to reflect and appreciate the little things a little bit more. Whatever it is, it's up to us to take what life hands us and smile and move on. I know it's difficult. I know I have been personally struggling for the last few months, maybe the last year, asking why things are happening the way they are. Why can't they just work out how we want them to and we can all live happily ever after. Well I have to stop asking Why, and figure out what I can take from it. I need to stop trying to figure life out. It's impossible. We always think we know so much more than what we do. How smart did you think you were at 15? How much more did you know at 18? 21? 25? And every age, you think, wow, I wish I would have known "this" at that age. So why do we think that we won't know so much more in 5 years...10 years....20 years. Our life experiences will continue to slap us in the face and wake us up. And then we will need to just take what life hands us, smile, and move on.
So now I embark on this wonderful journey. Realizing that if things would have worked out "exactly as I wanted them to", I would not be traveling to Thailand and being able to take advantage of a wonderful experience teaching and molding young minds. So that is what life has handed me: the opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do my whole life; To be able to be a good human being, and be a positive influence on young minds.
Along with this opportunity also has come the realization that there is no way I can help make anyone else happy without me being happy with myself first. I'm really excited because I feel that I'm back on track to becoming the happy, constantly smiling, always optimistic person that I've grown to love.
I have so many emotions going through me right now. I feel scared, nervous, excited, happy, sad, plus a whole lot more. I'm sure I'll continue to feel many of these emotions probably the whole time that I am out there, but I also realize how special this is, and how many people won't be able to experience what I am about to experience. Many of you have however, and talking to a lot of you has actually made me feel at ease that I am making the right decision at the right time of my life. And for that, I thank you.
I will definitely continue blogging, especially about my experiences out there and touch base regularly.
A few months ago, I remember asking my best friend, what she thought her reason for being here was. It was one of those days where I was so confused about life and what I was doing with mine. Her answers definitely put a lot of things in perspective and brightened up my day. A few days later, I read this quote, and along with my conversation with her, I realized that no matter what, because of the love and guidance from my dear friends and family, when the time comes, I will have succeeded in life. I really enjoyed this quote, and I hope you all do too:
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
The next time you hear from me, I'll be on the other side of the world! :D
Cheers, and God Bless.
Juan José Madrigal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The whole piece has touched me but the following statements/concepts/ideas/realizations really stick out, on the circle of life and 'there is no way I can help make anyone else happy without me being happy with myself first.'
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how much I've felt much the same way during very recent times- so many emotions all at once. Rather than go on here I am going to write that I know you will enjoy your time out there even if it's after you leave and reflect back on it. Who knows? Perhaps I can even visit you one day? I've always wanted to go to South Africa and know that I will one day. But Thailand has always been in my top five. Also, I know you to be strong because you've traveled to other countries before eventhough I know you certainly DWELL in a comfort zone ;). We can talk/write more later hopefully before you leave.